As EVgo CEO Cathy Zoi often remarks, “everyone I know who has driven an electric vehicle has fallen in love with driving an EV.”
Thanks to recent air quality improvements, more and more drivers are thinking about making the switch to an EV. If you’re thinking about owning or leasing an EV when COVID-19 shelter-in-place restrictions are lifted, we’ve compiled a list of 5 of our favorite reasons to go electric.
Which one is your favorite?
1. EVs Are a Pivotal Part of the Climate Solution – Did you know that the transportation sector is the largest contributor of greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S.? That’s why replacing gas-guzzling cars with zero-emissions electric vehicles is one of the most important steps we can take to tackle climate change. A fully electrified transportation sector could cut U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by nearly 30% and smog pollution by 50%.
Bonus: In 2019, EVgo became the first public fast charging network in the U.S. to commit to powering our network with 100% renewable energy as part of our commitment to a clean energy economy.
2. EVs Can Save You Money – In today’s challenging times, everyone is looking for ways to save money, and the good news is that driving electric can help you do just that.
Today, as more EV models are coming onto the market, and used EVs are now available, prices for owning or leasing EVs are going down. And with fewer moving parts than traditional internal combustion engine (or ICE) vehicles, you’ll also spend much less time – and money – on auto repairs over the vehicle’s lifetime. For example, the regenerative braking system employed in EVs typically lasts longer than the brake systems on gas-powered vehicles.
One of the many benefits of electric vehicles is the fact that electricity is everywhere, and a lot of drivers will do a combination of charging at home, work, and on the go. To that end, each individual driver’s cost of fueling may vary widely based on what percent of their charging they do where. Our per-minute rates are easy to find online or in the EVgo app and anyone can fast charge at Pay as You Go Rates or sign up for a membership to access discounted per-minute rates.
Bonus: Some EVs qualify for a federal tax credit and some states offer additional credits. Click here for more info. For potential EV drivers in California, our partners at Veloz have compiled resources to help you find the right EV for you.
3. EVs Are So Much Fun to Drive – EVs offer high torque power and a fast, smooth pick-up that surprises and delights new EV drivers. Once you get behind the wheel of an EV, we think you’ll agree that there’s nothing better to drive!
Bonus: EVs also offer more high-tech features than many traditional ICE vehicles, like virtual reality backseat entertainment and sophisticated safety sensors and cameras that connect to the vehicle’s braking and steering systems to help avoid collisions.
4. EVs Are Just As Safe – If Not Safer in Some Cases – To Drive – In addition to passing EV-specific safety standards, EVs are required to pass the same safety tests as ICE vehicles. In fact, a number of models actually score higher than their counterparts. Because they’re powered by electricity instead of combustible fossil fuel, there’s a lower risk of fire when driving an EV. Many EVs also have a lower center of gravity than traditional ICE vehicles, helping to prevent the car from rolling over in case of an accident.
5. EVs Are Quiet – Forget the spa – a simple ride in your EV could be just the thing to quiet your mind and calm your nerves. The only noise generated by most EVs arises from wind resistance or tires on the road — and this only at higher speeds. With virtually noise-free cabins, EVs provide an ultra-relaxing ride.
The good news is that once you’ve made the decision to go electric, you can enjoy peace of mind with EVgo.
To meet the charging needs of EV drivers today and tomorrow, EVgo has built more than 800 conveniently-located fast charging locations across 34 states, and we’re rapidly expanding our network. In fact, EVgo has already opened at over 20 new locations in 2020 – averaging more than one new station weekly, with dozens more in construction and in the pipeline. You can fast charge your EV with EVgo at grocery stores, shopping centers, convenience stores, parking garages, and even hotels.
We invite you to make the switch and join the EV revolution!